St Peter's lodge is a very warm and welcoming lodge with a steady cross section of all ages. Our formal meetings are on the second Thursday of the every month, with a rehearsal meeting on most Mondays, meetings take place at our facilities in Ellindon
We do enjoy a regular get together, whatever shape that may take, such as formal dinners, social meetings, Golf, Rugby or even a plain and simple night out etc.
Historical detail of St Peter’s Lodge
St Peters Lodge was consecrated under the Ancients Grand Lodge on 26th July 1802 under the number 160B and shortly afterwards we registered under the Moderns Grand Lodge under the number of 596.
Following the consecration in 1802 the first Lodge Lewis was initiated, he was the son of the then Chaplin, Revd Samuel Oliver. His son George Oliver eventually become Dr George Oliver who was a leading light in Freemasonry and is recognised in this Centre with a Lodge named in his favour.
In 1807 the then Provincial Grand Master, the Earl of Pomfret constituted St Peters as the Provincial Grand Lodge.
In 1813 following the Union of the Grand Lodges the Lodge was re-numbered from 596 to 605. The Lodge appeared to flourish until about 1822 when some unknown difficulties beset a number of Lodges in the country. It is not known whether the Lodges perhaps stopped meeting or at least did not record such meetings and likewise ceased to communicate with the Grand Lodge. As such in 1828 some 59 Lodges were erased from Grand Lodge, St Peters being one of those Lodges.
However there is a record that the Lodge continued to meet but not undertaking any Masonic activity. So perhaps it not surprising that in 1836 a petition was made to re-form St Peters Lodge and the petition was granted in December 1836 under the number of 646. Two meetings were held in December 1836 and the third was held on 14th January 1837 at which, the then Grand Junior Deacon, Dr Robert Crucifix was in attendance.
The Lodge met regularly sometimes up to 18 times in each year and in 1863 the Lodge purchased the building in North Street, which became the Lodge rooms for the next 138 years or so, for the sum of £350 and spent a further £323 refurbishing the property - in today’s money is about £396000.
1863 was a significant year for the Lodge because on 6th of July 1863 the Lodge was re-numbered as 442 and this number remains with us to this day.